WISCASSET

2010 Census reports population of 3,732

Wiscasset, settled in the first half of the 18th century and once part of Pownalborough, became the county seat in 1794 when the courts were moved from the Pownalborough Court House. It borders the Sheepscot River and has one of the deepest harbors in Maine even being fourteen miles from the sea. The Indian meaning of Wiscasset was thought to be "the meeting of three rivers", however, the literal meaning is "coming out from the harbor but you don't see where".

The town rapidly became a great shipbuilding center and lumber port. In 1800 thirty locally owned square rigged vessels carried cargo all over the world. In 1870 a brick customs house was erected in the harbor area to accommodate the large quantity of commerce. The handsome houses which are Wiscasset's pride were largely built by successful ship owners and builders before the Embargo of 1807 which was imposed to prevent war with England. Wiscasset has been proposed as a naval base as well as the state capitol.

The Lincoln County Court House, 1824, the Lincoln County Museum, 1839, jailer's house with varying exhibits, the Old Lincoln County Jail, 1809, the Maine Art Gallery, the Musical Wonder House, the Nickels-Sortwell House, 1807, the Castle Tucker, 1807, and numerous antique shops and unique boutiques are all places of interest in Maine's "prettiest little village". Wiscasset has a municipal airport which is operational year round. Starting in 1992 Wiscasset hosted the stop between the train from Newcastle and the excursion boat from Boothbay Harbor. Visitors may travel the Rail/Sail during the summer months for a spectacular view of Lincoln County from land and sea.

Local industry includes the Maine Yankee Atomic Plant and water-related activities such as worm digging and lobstering. The Chewonki Foundation is a world renown educational preserve, once used by naturalist Roger Tory Peterson of birding fame. Stroll the pleasant brick sidewalks, visit the churches and old graveyards, the botanical Sunken Garden, the customs house, the excellent Public Library in the old bank building and the 1812 Powder House. There are attractive tourist accommodations, excellent restaurants, a shopping center, two pleasant campgrounds, a yacht club and public boat launching areas.

 

 

Link to official Wiscassetweb site

Town of Wiscasset - 51 Bath Road, Wiscasset, ME  04578-4108

207-882-8200 (voice), 207-882-8228 (fax)

 

         

 

Back to TOWNS