2010 Census reports population of 892
This was once territory of the Wawenock (or more precisely Walinakiak, meaning "People of the Bays") Abenaki Indians, who traveled in canoes to hunt for fish, shellfish, seals and seafowl. In 1614, Captain John Smith explored the coast, and is said to have named Christmas Cove when he visited it on Christmas Day. The land was subsequently part of the Pemaquid Patent, granted by the Plymouth Council for New England in 1631 to Robert Aldsworth and Gyles Elbridge, merchants from Bristol, England, from which the town derives its name.
A palisade fort and settlement were built on the adjacent Pemaquid
Peninsula. Between 1630 and 1650, the area was the center for fur
trading in Maine. It was attacked and rebuilt repeatedly during the
French and Indian Wars, with the final 2 attacks occurring in 1747
at Fort Frederick. In 1765, Bristol
was incorporated as a town, with South Bristol its western portion.
On March 26, 1915, South Bristol was set off and incorporated as a
Ship building has remained important, with schooners, fishing trawlers, lobster boats and yachts constructed at the town. The Hudson River Sloop Clearwater was built here in 1968. Other industries in South Bristol are fishing, lobstering, clamming, aquaculture and tourism.
The peninsula and Rutherford Island are connected by a swing bridge, one of only two in Maine, which spans "The Gut." For well over a century, Rutherford Island in particular has been a vacation destination for families from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.
Town of South Bristol - South Bristol website