was incorporated on February 24th, 1807, originally part of the
larger Ballstown Plantation which became the Town of Whitefield.
has many farms and abundant woodland, and is well-known for its
lakes and ponds and fine fishing, camping and canoeing.
Jefferson Village is at the head of Damariscotta Lake's Great Bay,
one-half of Clary Lake is in Jefferson, with Dyer Long Pond and Deer
Meadow Pond added for good measure. The Damariscotta Lake
State Park is right in the village on Rte 32, and is one of the most
enjoyable locations in the State for family picnics and swimming.
Haskell Mountain, known
recently for its old lookout tower, was originally the site of an
early farming community settled back in the 1770s. In the
1930s, a federal Civilian Conservation Camp was in operation in
Local residents and land
trusts work to conserve the Town's natural resources and to maintain
properties for recreational and low-impact uses. Organizations such
as the Damariscotta Watershed Association, Hidden Valley Nature
Center and Sheepscot Valley Conservation Association are active with
public education, outdoor recreation and conservation.
The Jefferson Historical
Society has its home in the old Meeting House. Not too far
away on Rte 126 is the Cattle Pound, a 40 foot circular stone
enclosure used for stray farm animals. The structure was built in
1829, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.